PE 1645: Southwest Climbing Expedition - Red Rock, NV (CANCELLED 2024)
Take your climbing to new heights on the sandstone of the southwest over spring break. Red Rock, NV has it all: sunny weather, long traditional routes, awesome sport climbing, and spectacular scenery. We'll spend eight days camping and climbing in this land of canyons and giants. With one instructor for every two students we have the flexibility to do anything; from starting to trad lead and building anchors to long multi-pitch routes.
The course fee includes all climbing and group camping equipment, instruction, camping, food, and on-ground transportation. Students are responsible for providing or renting personal camping equipment.
After receiving CONFIRMATION that the course will run, students will be instructed to book flights to arrive and depart from Las Vegas McCarran International Airport, arriving by 5pm on Saturday, April 1st and departing on Saturday, April 8th.
Includes all climbing equipment and group camping gear (tents, stoves, etc.)
|Participation in all class sessions is required in order to receive PE credit.|
|Basic Rock Climbing or equivalent personal experience, climbing routinely currently.
Lindseth Top rope belay certification minimum, Lead belay certification recommended.
Instructor approval required before registering (email@example.com).
|Enroll through Student Center or by contacting COE at 607-255-6183 or firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Monday||N/A||5:00pm to 9:00pm|
|Monday||N/A||5:00pm to 9:00pm|
|Sat-Sat||N/A||Depends on individual flight schedule|
Rock Climbing Equipment List
* These items are provided by COE and are covered in the course fee.
** These items can be rented from the COE Outfitting. Prices below reflect 25% discount, tax not included.
Synthetic top and bottom base layers for bad weather
- Cotton t-shirts for nice weather
- Sun protective shirt/hoodie (optional)
- 1-2 Insulating layers: fleece or synthetic fill jacket
- Closed toe shoes for hiking
- Wool or synthetic socks
- **Waterproof rain jacket with hood, available for $15.00 from COE Outfitting
- **Waterproof rain pants (optional), available for $12.00 from COE Outfitting
- Durable pants for climbing and hiking
- Swimsuit (optional)
- Warm hat
- Sun hat
- Warm gloves
*Sleeping bag, rated for 25F or lower
- *Sleeping pad
- Pillow (optional)
- Bowl, spoon, mug
- Squirrel proof container is needed if leaving food at the base of a climb (you can always bring it up with you)
- Comfy camp shoes, Crocs or flip-flops acceptable (optional)
- *Pack or duffel bag to carry it all
Toothbrush & toothpaste
- Sunglasses (optional)
- **Working headlamp and an extra set of fresh batteries, available for $18.00 from COE Outfitting
- Personal medicine
- Feminine hygiene products
- Hand towel (optional)
- Hand lotion or salve (optional)
- Food or money for travel meals
- Camera (optional)
- Water bottles to hold 2 liters of water
- *Climbing shoes
- Comfy all day shoes and tighter sending shoes (optional)
- *20-50 Liter backpack to carry personal and a some group climbing gear to climbs
- 2-3 Liter Hydration bladder
- .5-20 Liter backpack to carry up long climbs (should work with hydration bladder)
* Tents and Tarps
- * Cooking gear & Food
- * First Aid Kit
- * Climbing Equipment