PE 1655: Introduction to Traditional Lead Climbing
This class will teach you the skills needed to start trad climbing on your own. Learn to place and evaluate trad gear, build trad anchors, belay from above, and rappel. We will introduce skills at the Lindseth Climbing Center and travel for a weekend climbing and camping in the Gunks to get experience on real rock.
Includes all climbing equipment and group camping gear (tents, stoves, etc.)
|Participation in all class sessions is required in order to receive PE credit.|
|At least 1 year of rock climbing regularly.
Lead certification at Lindseth Climbing Center.
|Enroll through Student Center or by contacting COE at 607-255-6183 or email@example.com|
|Wednesday||4/24/24||6:00pm to 10:00pm|
|Monday||4/29/24||6:00pm to 10:00pm|
|Wednesday||5/1/24||6:00pm to 10:00pm|
|Fri-Sun||5/3/24 to 5/5/24||5:00pm to 10:00pm|
Rock Climbing Equipment List
* These items are provided by COE and are covered in the course fee.
** These items can be rented from the COE Outfitting. Prices below reflect 25% discount, tax not included.
Synthetic base layers for bad weather
- Cotton t-shirts for nice weather
- Closed toe shoes. No sandals, even around camp!
- Wool or synthetic socks
- **Waterproof rain jacket with hood, available for $7.50 from COE Outfitting
- **Waterproof rain pants, available for $6.00 from COE Outfitting
- Warm hat
- 1-2 Insulating layers: fleece or synthetic fill jacket
- Warm gloves
- *Sleeping bag, rated for 25F or lower
- *Sleeping pad
- Pillow (optional)
- Bowl, spoon, mug
- *Pack or duffel bag to carry it all
- Toothbrush & toothpaste
- Sunglasses (optional)
- **Working headlamp and an extra set of fresh batteries, available for $9.00 from COE Outfitting
- Personal medicine
- Feminine hygiene products
- Food or money for travel meals
- Camera (optional)
- Water bottles to hold 2 liters of water
- *Climbing shoes
- Backpack to carry personal and a some of group climbing gear
- * Tents and Tarps
- * Cooking gear & Food
- * First Aid Kit
- * Climbing Equipment