Willard Straight Hall Student Union
Please note that many services and rooms in Willard Straight Hall have been taken off-line during the pandemic. Any rooms that are available for use can be reserved through Cornell's Chatter system.
Willard Straight Hall is a college-gothic style building located in the heart of Cornell’s campus. The building is an art exhibit in itself—take some time to visit the public rooms on the 4th floor and notice the distinctive art work, the original wood carving, stone work, and wrought-iron work. Take time to read the words carved in stone above the fire place in the Memorial Room, that are Willard Straight’s advice to his son, Michael. Willard Straight Hall was one of the first student unions in North America—a building devoted solely to student interests, not academic interests.
One of the first college unions in the country, the Straight supports the events and functions of the many units within Student and Campus Life, including the Office of the Dean of Students, Campus Activities, and Sorority and Fraternity Life.
The Straight also contains Cornell Dining eateries - the Ivy Room, Okenshields, and Straight from the Market. Cornell Cinema is also located on the 1st floor. WSH is also home to an art gallery, a browsing library, multiple meeting rooms, and large lounges.
Willard Straight Hall Staff Offices
Willard Straight Hall is the home of the Dean of Students Office (2nd floor) and the Department of Campus and Community Engagement (4th & 5th floors). The Student Organization Business Offices are also located on the 1st floor near Cornell Cinema.
Meeting Spaces and Lounges
Some consider Willard Straight Hall to be the “living room” of the campus. Many of its lounges are open to the public from 7:00 am to 11:00 pm during the academic semester.
The Game Room (Fourth Floor) offers a relaxed environment for informal study or casual enjoyment of arcade games and billards.
- The Browsing Library, located on the 4th Floor, is a comfortable environment for having a snack and socializing or for enjoying books, periodicals, and newspapers. It offers several special collections, including Cornellian year books.
- The Fifth Floor Lounge is a multi-purpose lounge that is open for public use at some times of the day, and can also be reserved for private events. The room has been fitted with mirrors and a barre on one wall so that it is suitable for dance and other performing arts practice.
- The International Lounge, on the 4th Floor, is generally available for public use, and it can also be reserved for private events through the R25 scheduling system. The room features a series of paintings that were collected by Willard Straight during his travels through the Orient.
- The Art Gallery on the 4th Floor can be reserved for art exhibits or meetings.
- The Memorial Room – a veritable ballroom – is reserved for many functions, from arts and crafts fairs, to fashion shows, to weddings. Look over your head in this room – you will see the names of Cornell presidents carved in stone just below the ceiling. And, as you look up at the ceiling, you will realize that the ends of each wood beam contain the caricature of some of Willard Straight’s most “beloved” professors. Directly adjacent to the Memorial Room is the Ivy Terrace, boasting a magnificent view of downtown Ithaca and Cayuga Lake.
- On the sixth floor, two meeting rooms (The Lofts) get frequent use by student organizations for weekly meetings. In addition the North Room, with its wooden floors and mirrored walls, is used by dance and martial arts groups looking for practice space.
- The 4th Floor Conference Room is a meeting room get frequent use by student organizations for weekly meetings. It can be reserved using the R25 System.
- The Garden Room is a multi-purpose lounge that is open for public use and can also be reserved for private events. The room has a wooden floor, so that it is suitable for dance and other performing arts practice.
Willard Straight Hall houses other services, in addition to lounges:
Dining – Willard Straight Hall has three dining facilities which are open to students, faculty, staff and guests. The hours vary by establishment and by day of the week.
- The Ivy Room – an a la carte dining room, featuring sandwiches, salads, desserts, and beverages. The Stone Palace pizza parlor is also located here.
- Okenshields – an all-you-care-to eat dining facility, a traditional dining hall that accepts student meal plans.
- Straight from the Market – located on the main floor, this is a farmstand fresh eatery offering a variety of hearty entrées, salads, and Cornell Dairy Ice Cream.
- Cornell Cinema – the nationally-acclaimed Cornell Cinema is housed in Willard Straight Hall. Visit the theater and enjoy the murals on the walls!