Undergraduate residence halls close for the spring semester at 2pm on Sunday, December 19, 2021. If you have not yet responded to notify us of your plans for departure or move-out for fall semester and winter break, please Log in to the Portal to complete the form.
COVID-19 and Health and Safety
While family/friends and guests are now permitted in campus buildings, including residence halls, please remember that everyone must wear face coverings, regardless of vaccination status. Please notify your family and friends. Be packed and ready to depart when your ride arrives, initial your Winter Closing Notice, and adhere to your departure timeslot.
Bins and flat carts will be available in residence halls to assist with your move if necessary.
Key return envelopes are available in the following locations:
- North Campus Service Center in RPCC
- Hans Bethe House Office
- Cascadilla Service Center
Do not turn in your keys if you are returning in January for spring semester housing.
Please place keys into the envelopes and return them to your Service Center, House Office, or metal key boxes found in your residence halls upon your move-out by 2pm on December 19. Please note that if your assigned keys are not returned, you will be charged the following fees:
- Room key - $104
- Exterior door key - $104
- Mailbox key - $50
Room Checklist (to complete before you leave campus!)
- Let your residential staff know the date and time of your departure.
- Remove all trash to your building dumpsters, and take recycling to your building recycling center.
- Take down all holiday decorations.
- Return all dining items to the nearest dining room – no questions asked!
- Return your reusable container to your dining room – pick up another when you return for spring semester!
- Clean your bathroom and kitchen (if applicable).
- Unplug all appliances – computers, lamps, clocks, etc. (Exception: Townhouse refrigerators should remain plugged in.)
- Unplug your microfridge, clean it out, and prop open the door. Please remove all items from COVID common-area fridges as these will be removed during winter break.
- Take all valuable items with you, including laptop computers, etc. Remember to take passports and medications! You will not have access to your hall/room during the break.
- Take fish and plants with you.
- Lock your windows, close your drapes and/or shades, and turn out all lights.
- Lock and double-check your room, suite, and/or apartment door.
- Do NOT turn in your keys if you are returning for the spring semester.
Mail Service & Forwarding Address
Mail and packages are held during the semester recess and are sorted when the service centers/House offices are open (see housing.cornell.edu for hours). We are unable to forward mail during the semester recess unless you are vacating your residence hall/house for the upcoming semester. If you are expecting essential mail during the semester recess, notify the sender of your forwarding address immediately.
Important Loading/Unloading Parking Information
Due to construction and the need to restrict vehicle access from our fire apparatus roadways and sidewalks, changes remain in effect for where you will be able to park and load for your upcoming move-out or departure, as well as your return in January 2022. We’ve outlined for you in email communications areas where you will be permitted to drive and park temporarily to load and unload your vehicle. It is important that you adhere to these loading locations and do not drive on any pedestrian walkways not designated for these locations. Please refer to your email communications from our Housing & Residential Life team and visit Important Loading and Parking Information for detailed instructions.