Skip to main content

Cornell University

Housing Needs due to Chronic Health, Medical, or Disability Conditions

Cornell has a variety of housing options that vary in their physical location and environmental design (i.e., room types, elevator access, air conditioning, wheelchair accessible rooms, low use bathrooms, etc.). Cornell is committed to ensuring that residents with chronic health and/or disability conditions are able to live in residential communities that meet their access needs.

If you require accessible housing for a disability/chronic health related reason, you must register with Student Disability Services (SDS) in addition to submitting the housing application. If you are approved by SDS as being eligible for housing placement based on disability/medical needs, SDS will work with the Housing & Residential Life office to offer you a room that meets your accessibility needs.

Please note: seasonal allergies are typically not considered a disability.

Continuing and returning-from-leave students who are requesting the assistance of SDS and the Housing & Residential Life office to identify accessible housing should contact SDS as soon as possible to allow adequate time for SDS to review your request and determine if you are eligible for disability housing accommodations/placement. Please note that on-campus housing is not guaranteed for juniors and seniors and applying to SDS does not guarantee a housing assignment. If you wish to remain on campus as a junior or senior, learn about your upper-level residential community's continued occupancy process, but only students who are required to live on campus are guaranteed housing.

For information on how to register with SDS, please visit Questions? Contact SDS (phone 607-254-4545, email