Students who have not requested housing for extenuating circumstances should plan on checking out of their rooms beginning now, and plan to have check-out completed by 2pm on Sunday, March 29.
MOVING OUT? If you are leaving University housing between now and 2pm on Sunday, March 29, please be sure to return your room, suite, and/or mailbox key(s), using the key envelope that you will receive from your residential staff. All keys must be returned to your Service Center / House Office – or deposited in your building’s key deposit box – by 2:00pm on Sunday, March 29 to avoid key/lock replacement charges.
ROOM CHECKLIST (to complete before you leave campus!)
- Let your residential staff know the date and time of your departure.
- Remove all trash to your building dumpsters, and take recycling to your building recycling center.
- Return all dining items to the nearest dining room – no questions asked!
- Clean your bathroom and kitchen (if applicable).
- Unplug all appliances – computers, lamps, clocks, etc. (Exception: Townhouse refrigerators should remain plugged in.)
- Unplug your microfridge, clean it out, and prop open the door.
- Take all valuable items with you, including laptop computers, etc. Remember to take passports and medications!
- Take fish and plants with you.
- Lock your windows, close your drapes and/or shades, and turn out all lights.
- Lock and double-check your room, suite, and/or apartment door.
- Turn in your keys to your service center or house office.
MAIL SERVICE & FORWARDING ADDRESS
Be sure that you leave an accurate forwarding address so that mail can be appropriately handled. Forwarding addresses may be updated through the housing portal at housing.cornell.edu. First class mail will be forwarded. International mail will be returned to the sender with a forwarding address attached. Residents must make arrangements with publishers to redirect newspapers, magazines, and periodicals. Be sure to also change your address for the 2020-2021 academic year online in the Cornell University directory at whoiam.cornell.edu.
IMPORTANT LOADING/UNLOADING PARKING INFORMATION
Due to construction and the need to restrict vehicle access from our fire apparatus roadways and sidewalks, changes remain in effect for where you will be able to park and load for your upcoming move-out, as well as your return in August 2020. We’ve outlined in email communications for you areas where you will be permitted to drive and park temporarily to load and unload your vehicle. It is important that you adhere to these loading locations and do not drive on any pedestrian walkways not designated for these locations. Please refer to your email communications from our Housing & Residential Life team and visit Important Loading and Parking Information for detailed instructions.
The need for residential security increases when there are fewer residents present (from now through closing). Protect yourself and your personal belongings. Wallets and bags, packages, and electronics are all more vulnerable at this time. Keep your doors locked at all times. As always, do not allow nonresidents access to the building unless a resident accompanies them. Any unusual observations should be reported to Campus Life or Cornell Police at (607) 255-1111. If it is an emergency, please dial 911.