Greek Involvement & Volunteering Excellence
Greek Involvement & Volunteering Excellence (GIVE)
Rather than providing a single opportunity for chapters to fulfill their service requirement, Tri-Council will provide a menu of “sponsored” service events throughout the semester for chapter members to choose from. This is not a list of required events but rather a list of options chapters can engage in according to members’ schedules. Tri-Council leadership believes that by spreading service opportunities throughout the semester, chapters will be equipped with more ways to involve their members in a collaborative environment.
Along with the altered volunteer structure available to chapters comes an altered system for service requirement and chapter recognition. Engagement in service events throughout the semester will now be measured through the Greek Involvement and Volunteering Excellence (GIVE) Service Standard, a new service-focused performance standard for the Tri-Council community. Chapters will be upheld to this tiered standard and those who go above and beyond baseline prerequisites will be recognized and rewarded accordingly.
Categories are broken into four categories: Baseline, Bronze, Silver, and Gold. Different GIVE ratings can be achieved by accomplishing the following, with the baseline GIVE rating (Baseline) being a prerequisite for all chapters:
- Baseline: 10%* of a chapter’s members must cumulatively** attend the Tri-Council sponsored service events on the list throughout the semester in session
- Bronze: 30% of a chapter’s members must cumulatively attend the Tri-Council sponsored service events on the list throughout the semester in session
- Silver: 50% of a chapter’s members must cumulatively attend the Tri-Council sponsored service events on the list throughout the semester in session
- Gold: 70% of a chapter’s members must cumulatively attend the Tri-Council sponsored service events on the list throughout the semester in session
- Further involvement beyond a Gold GIVE rating will be noted
*All percentages are rounded up to the next whole person.
**Cumulatively means the total number of distinct members who collectively volunteer from the selection of service events in the semester (i.e. John goes to the Stewart Park Build and Steve goes to Judy Day is cumulatively 2 chapter members)While members are always encouraged to participate in multiple service events, additional events attended by the same individual will not count towards the attendance percentage - i.e., the percentage counts only the distinct number of different members who attend at least one service event in the semester.
It is important to note that the Baseline performance category is the only GIVE rating that is enforced through a penalty system. That system varies according to a chapter’s respective Greek council. The penalty system is below:
$35 per member under the 10% attendance quota*
$300 for any chapter that fails to achieve this rating (large** chapter)
$150 for any chapter that fails to achieve this rating (small chapter)
*These penalties are the same as with the 10% requirement by IFC for Greeks Give Back attendance in the past
**A chapter is considered "large" if it has 50 or more members