Leadership Support Account
Students have access to up to $3500 to support leadership related activities and internships as long as they are full-time enrolled undergraduates at Cornell and in good standing with the MFCNS program. The full $3,500 can only be used for full-time (8+ weeks) summer experiences; otherwise, funding is pro-rated based on length of experience. Students who plan and budget well can receive funding to cover living expenses for an internship, as well as a leadership related experience. To be considered for funding, the below related application(s) must be completed and submitted for pre-approval. Requests submitted without pre-approval will not be considered.
Scholars have access to up to $3,500 to use for an internship experience and/or a leadership related experience. Students may apply for funding to support leadership related experiences over winter, spring or summer break. Students are eligible to apply for funding to support internships during the summer only. Note that leadership-related means typically giving of your time (volunteering) to make an impact on a group or organization.
The support account will cover reasonable housing, utilities, transportation, food/household, visa, immunizations, as well as provide limited support for miscellaneous expenses.
Applications are due by the following dates:
- Winter Break: December 15
- Spring Break: March 1
- Summer: May 30
Before starting the application process, students:
- Must complete the Support Account Information course in Canvas.
- Consider speaking with the program director about the experience and whether it falls within the program guidelines.
- Secure a position (do not apply based on a potential position).
- Must have details about their experience including
- Dates of Experiences
- Direct Supervisor contact information
- All Budget Costs (Housing, Transportation, Food, etc.)
- If any visas or immunizations are necessary, etc.
- Verify that their health insurance will provide coverage, especially if at a non-US location.
- Sign up for direct deposit via the Bursar
After completing the application
- Once all relevant sections are completed the application system will notify the program director of the student's application. If the student is applying for conference funding, they must email the program director to notify them of the completed application.
- Students can check their application status. Applications will not be reviewed until all components have been completed.
- It is the student's responsibility to follow-up on endorsements. Endorsement forms should be completed by the supervisor of the upcoming experience to confirm the dates and responsibilities of the experience.
- The program director will inform students of the application decision.
- Approval is at the program director's discretion.
- Once students have completed their internship or leadership experience, students must complete their post-experience application within two weeks of their end date.
Start your Meinig Support Account Funding Application:
What should my leadership experience include?
The leadership experience must be an opportunity where students are actively doing something to engage in an organization or community and making a measurable difference.
What qualifies as a full-time experience?
Experiences must be at least 8 weeks/35-40 hours per week (totaling approximately 280 hours to be considered for full-time funding.
Are freshmen eligible to use funding over the summer between their freshman and sophomore year?
No, freshmen are not eligible to use funding over the summer between their freshman and sophomore year but the program allows freshmen to apply for funding over winter or spring breaks of their first year.
Can I use my support account funding for conferences?
Funding for conferences is reviewed on a case-by-case basis. The conference must have a direct connection to leadership and students must submit a conference schedule when applying.
Please reach out to Kris DeLuca, director of the Meiig Family Cornell National Scholars, to discuss conference plans.
When applying for conference funding, the student must email the program director to notify them of the completed application.
Can I use my support account funding for projects?
Students can access up to $500 per semester to support special projects to start a new leadership activity. The funding cannot be used to offset expenses for an established program or organization. To apply for project funding, submit the Leadership Project Funding Form.
Can I use my support account funding for credit-bearing experiences?
The Meinig program does not typically fund credit-bearing leadership experiences. If you have specific questions related to a credit-bearing leadership experience, please reach out to Kris DeLuca with any questions.
**An ITART petition is still required for travel to destinations considered to be elevated risk destinations. Students are responsible for understanding and following complex border restrictions and entry and re-entry requirements. Travel insurance is strongly encouraged.