Service Support Account
Students have access to up to $3,500 to support service activities and internships as long as they are full-time enrolled undergraduates at Cornell and in good standing with the Cornell Tradition program. The full $3,500 can only be used for full-time (8+ weeks) summer experiences; otherwise, funding is pro-rated based on length of experience. Students who plan and budget well can receive funding to cover living expenses for at least one internship as well as a service experience. To be considered for funding, the below related application(s) must be completed and submitted for pre-approval. Requests submitted without pre-approval will not be considered.
Fellows have access to up to $3,500 to use for an internship experience and/or service related experience. Students may apply for funding to support service experiences over winter, spring or summer break. Students are eligible to apply for funding for internships during the summer only.
The support account will cover reasonable housing, utilities, transportation, food/household, visa, immunizations, as well as provide limited support for miscellaneous expenses.
Applications are due by the following dates:
Winter Break: December 15
- Spring Break: March 1
- Summer: May 30
Before starting the application process, students:
Must complete the Support Account Information course in Canvas.
- Consider speaking with the program director about the experience and whether it falls within the program guidelines.
- Secure a position (do not apply based on a potential position).
- Must have details about their experience including
- Dates of experiences
- Direct supervisor contact information-You will be asked to enter their email address in the application so that they can complete an endorsement form.
- All budget costs (Housing, Transportation, Food, etc.)
- If any visas or immunizations are necessary, etc.
- Verify that their health insurance will provide coverage, especially if at a non-US location
- Sign up for direct deposit via the Bursar
After completing the application:
Once all relevant sections are completed the application system will notify the program director of the student's application.If the student is applying for conference funding, they must email the program director to notify them of the completed application.
- Students can check their application status. Applications will not be reviewed until all components have been completed.
- It is the student's responsibility to follow-up on endorsements. Endorsement forms should be completed by the supervisor of the upcoming experience to confirm the dates and responsibilities of the experience.
- The program director will inform students of the application decision.
- Approval is at the program director's discretion.
- Once students have completed their internship or service experience, students must complete their post-experience application within two weeks of their end date.
Start your Tradition Support Account Funding Application:
What should my service experience include?
Service experiences must involve:
working side by side with community members or an organization to accomplish a task, or
- teaching community members a skill that they can continue to use after the student has left
What qualifies as a full-time experience?
Experiences must be at least 8 weeks/35-40 hours per week (totaling approximately 280 hours) to be considered for full-time funding.
Are freshmen eligible to use funding over the summer between their freshman and sophomore year?
No, freshmen are not eligible to use funding over the summer between their freshman and sophomore year but the program allows freshmen to apply for funding over winter or spring breaks of their first year.
Can I use my support account funding for conferences?
Funding for conferences is reviewed on a case-by-case basis. The conference must have a direct connection to service and students must submit a conference schedule when applying.
Please reach out to Suzanne Horning, director of the Cornell Tradition to discuss conference plans.
Can I use my support account funding for projects?
Students can access up to $500 per semester to support special projects to start a new service activity. The project requires collaboration with a Cornell-affiliated entity or community agency. Complete a project application for funding once your plans are finalized!
Can I use my support account funding for credit-bearing experiences?
Tradition does not typically fund credit-bearing experiences. If you have specific questions related to a credit-bearing service experience, please reach out to Suzanne Horning with any questions.
**An ITART petition is still required for travel to destinations considered to be elevated risk destinations. Students are responsible for understanding and following complex border restrictions and entry and re-entry requirements. Travel insurance is strongly encouraged.