Skip to main content

Guide to 2022 - 2023 Housing for Upperlevel Students

Housing Selection Process

While the application processes for Program Houses and serving as an RA begin this fall, the sign-up period for other on-campus housing does not start until January 2022.

Rising sophomores are guaranteed on-campus housing next year, and are required to live on-campus or in approved affiliated housing.  Read the residential policy for details. The on-campus housing options for upperlevel students include residence halls, Program Houses, and cooperative houses. It is important that you do not sign a lease for an off-campus apartment, as you will be expected to live in on-campus housing.

Rising juniors and seniors may feel pressure to sign a lease for an off-campus apartment, but there’s no need to rush. There will be many apartments still available in spring semester 2022, with plenty of time to sign a lease. The Office of Off-Campus Living offers many resources.


Information Sessions and Deadlines

A full schedule of information sessions will be announced soon.

Apply for Resident Advisor (RA) positions - Choose any one of 18 info sessions. Applications are due Wednesday, November 10, 2021 at 5:00pm ET. View the application.


Benefits of living on campus:

  • Room blocking (with up to five of your friends)

  • Faculty interaction
  • Convenience to classes, Cornell Dining eateries and all that campus has to offer
  • A housing license for the academic year rather than a 12-month lease
  • You (and you alone) sign your license; don’t worry about roommate leases and liabilities
  • Pay through your bursar bill, with all utilities included. No payment due until August 2022
  • Safety and security  - our residential buildings are well-lit, secure with either key or card access, and have staff members living on-site (in all buildings except for the co-ops)

Factors when living off-campus:            

Apartments - Every landlord sets their terms independently. Most leases do not include utilities or furniture. Be aware that some landlords may require payments as soon as you sign your lease. Your lease with a landlord is a binding contract between you and that business; the university is not involved in any questions or changes that may come up. You must work directly with the landlord.

Greek Life – Fraternities, sororities and multicultural organizations have separate recruitment processes and options for housing. In most cases the housing terms and payments are completely separate from the university. In a few cases the billing is processed by the university as a service to the Greek organization.