Research Support Account (RSA)
Students admitted as freshman have access to up to $8,000 to support research and related activities as long as they are full-time enrolled undergraduates at Cornell and are in good standing with RCPRS. Upperclass-admitted students have access to $5,000. Students who plan and budget well can receive a living expense grant for at least one summer of research, attend at least one conference, purchase necessary supplies, and do research for wages.
Application for research supplies, capped at $500 per semester
Application for Summer, Winter, or Conference Funding
Students who wish to apply for conference funding or a Living Expense Grant for full-time research over the summer or winter break must complete this application by the deadline (see below) and receive pre-approval for the experience.
If you are interested in applying for support account funding, please contact Kristin Ramsay, firstname.lastname@example.org
Scholars have access to up to $3,500 to use for a full-time (8+ weeks) summer research experience or a pro-rated amount for shorter experiences. During the summer, the support account will cover reasonable housing, utilities, transportation, food/household, visa, immunizations, as well as provide limited support for miscellaneous expenses.
Applications by the following dates:
- Winter Research: November 1
- Summer Research: May 1
- Conferences: 4 weeks prior to the conference
Before starting the application process, students need to:
- Attend a support account information session or meet with the program director.
- Contact the program director about the experience and determine if it falls within the program guidelines.
- Secure a position (do not apply based on a potential position).
- Have details about their experience including:
- Location (travel to a location on this elevated-risk list will require extra review)
- Dates of experience
- Direct supervisor contact information
- If doing research on-campus-you are required to obtain an endorsement from your faculty mentor.
- If doing research off-campus-you must obtain endorsements from BOTH your current faculty mentor and Supervisor.
- All budget costs (housing, transportation, food, etc.)
- If any visas or immunizations are necessary, etc.
- Verification that their health insurance will provide coverage, especially if at a non-US location.
We encourage students to sign up for direct deposit via the Bursar
After completing the application:
- The application system will notify the program director when the application is complete.
- Students can check their application status. Applications will not be reviewed until all components have been completed.
- It is the student’s responsibility to follow-up on endorsements (please note this is referred to as a “recommendation” in the online application).
- After approving, the program director will inform students of the application decision via email. Approval is at program director’s discretion.
**Be aware that the Coronavirus might impact your travel depending on location. Be sure to check this site: Cornell’s coronavirus webpage
- If traveling to an elevated-risk country, funding approval is contingent upon ITART approval.
- Post-experience materials must be submitted within two weeks of the end date or the student’s bursar account may be charged back the amount received.
Are freshmen eligible to use funding for research between their freshmen and sophomore year?
Freshmen continuing research on Cornell’s campus that they began in the spring may be eligible to apply for funding. Please contact Kristin Ramsay to discuss your research plan.
Can I use my support account funding for conferences?
Students who are presenting their research may apply for up to $1,200 in conference funding (conference fees, travel, food). Please reach out to Kristin Ramsay to discuss conference plans.
Can I use my support account funding for credit-bearing experiences?
RCPRS does not typically fund credit-bearing research experiences. If you have specific question related to a credit-bearing research experience, please contact Kristin Ramsay.