Skip to main content

Events with Alcohol

Events with Alcohol

Your event must be registered at Scheduling@Cornell (25Live) prior to contacting Risk Management & Insurance. If you have further questions after registering your event, please reach out to Risk Management & Insurance for additional questions/information.

Note that only university departments and graduate/professional student organizations may have alcohol at events. Undergraduate student organizations may not have events with alcohol.

Event sponsors hosting events with alcohol on University property must adhere to the following requirements:

Review University Policy 4.8, Alcohol and Other Drugs

Landlord Authorization Form

In addition to the Certificate of Insurance for serving alcohol, caterers need to have a Landlord Authorization Form signed for every event. The New York State Liquor Authority should receive these 15 days prior to the event. The Landlord Authorization Form is required for all venues except for the five listed below.

Licensed Facilities
These locations are the only ones that do not need a Landlord Authorization Form since they are licensed, and the designated Cornell Unit must provide service at these locations.

  • Statler Hotel
  • Willard Straight Hall
  • Keglers Pub in Helen Newman Hall
  • Moakley House
  • Big Red Barn

Assign a person responsible for the alcohol service.

That person must be aware that assuming responsibility for the alcohol service includes the risks of personal civil and criminal liability for events under 50 people.


That person may be a University employee only under the following conditions:

  • The events is for invited guests only,
  • A majority of guests are at least 21-years-old, and
  • No more than 50 guests are expected.

Graduate students

That person may be an enrolled graduate student only if the following are true:

  • The event is for invited graduate students and/or employees only,
  • A majority of guests are at least 21-years-old, and
  • No more than 50 guests are expected


That person may be a licensed and insured caterer if the following are true:

  • Registered with Procurement Services to cater events on University property
  • Satisfied the University’s minimum insurance requirements
  • Obtained a NYS Special Event Permit and displays it at the event

Undergraduate students

May not provide alcohol at events on University property.

Develop an alcohol service plan if not hiring a caterer

Event organizers must develop and follow a plan for responsibly managing the event.  The responsible person must do the following:

  • Check guest’s identification and serve the alcohol,
  • Refrain from drinking alcohol during the event,
  • Limit alcohol consumption to one drink per person, per hour during the event,
  • Never serve alcohol to anyone who appears to have been consuming alcohol or other drugs prior to the event,
  • Discard leftover food and alcohol at the conclusion of the event, and
  • Ensure heavy food and water is available throughout the duration of the event.