Student Support and Advocacy Services
Message from the Senior Associate Dean
Greetings! It is with great pleasure that I introduce myself and the incredible team I lead, Student Support and Advocacy Services. Our mission is simple yet profound - we are here to support you through the ups and downs of your journey here at Cornell University. As the Senior Associate Dean of Students, my primary focus is to ensure that every one of you thrives and achieves your fullest potential during your time here at Cornell. Whether you are a new undergraduate student embarking on this exciting adventure or a graduate student finishing up your PhD, I am committed to fostering a nurturing and inclusive environment where you can flourish.
The Student Support and Advocacy Services team is made up of dedicated and empathetic professionals who are here to provide unwavering guidance to those who may be facing challenging life events. We understand that life can present unexpected obstacles that may impact your Cornell journey, and we are here alongside you, offering resources and solutions to help you overcome any hurdles you encounter.
Your well-being and success are of utmost importance to us. We believe that by cultivating a supportive and caring community, we can empower you to achieve your goals. Whether you need emotional support, connections to campus or local resources, or assistance navigating the complexities of university life, know that you can lean on us without hesitation.
Together, let us create an environment that fosters growth, resilience, and a sense of belonging. I encourage you to explore our website and discover the wealth of resources and services available to you. Your journey as a student here will undoubtedly be transformative, and we are honored to be a part of it.
Please feel free to reach out to us at any time – we are here for you, always.
Senior Associate Dean of Students, Student Support and Advocacy Services
The Office of Student Support and Advocacy Services assists students in navigating difficult life events and crisis situations that impact their ability to be successful. We utilize a student-centered and individualized approach to support and empower students. The office serves as the central point of contact for students, families, and community members, and collaborates with campus partners to holistically support students.
Student Support and Advocacy Services is a newly reimagined organization within the Office of the Dean of Students, in Student and Campus Life. We strive to help students navigate challenging issues in all facets of their lives. We utilize non-clinical, trauma-informed, and identity-conscious approaches to our work with students. Our team of dedicated professionals focuses on creating a welcoming, non-judgmental, and caring environment that aims to facilitate access to holistic support services and campus and local resources.
Our focus areas include campus-wide case management and crisis response services. Case management consists of building 1-on-1 helping relationships with students while coaching them toward resources, self-care, and self-advocacy. Students experiencing non-crisis physical, psychological, safety, and patterns of academic concern should be referred to our office via this form by selecting the Student of Concern in the Report Type drop-down menu.
Our Administrator on-Call supports students after-hours navigating high-level issues of physical and psychological safety. For more information about when to reach out to the Administrator on-Call, click here.
If you have an emergency, please contact 911 or Cornell University Public Saftey Communications Centers at 607-255-1111.
Why would I contact this office?
- Academic difficulty due to physical or mental health issues
- Extenuating life circumstances impacting academic performance and/or overall functioning
- Seeking assistance finding or getting connected to support services on campus and/or in the local community
- To report a concern about the well-being or safety of themselves, another student, or the broader community
- Trouble fitting in or adjusting to college
- Food insecurity or unstable housing
- Financial Distress
- To talk through a life stressor
- Relationship challenges
- Not sure where else to go
How can I utilize the services?
- We meet with students through one-on-one appointments via in-person or Zoom. You may schedule an appointment by calling our office at 607-254-8598. Please be sure to indicate your preferred appointment type when you call.
- We also provide drop-in hours Monday-Friday, 10:00 am - 3:30 pm. Students will be seen in the order they arrive based on staff availability.
- 607-255-5155 (#4) - Cornell Health After-Hours (ProtoCall) 24/7 mental health professionals
- 607-255-1111 - Cornell University Public Saftey Communications Centers
- or 911
- 607-255-1111 (ask for an Administrator on-Call)
Who do I contact after hours and in emergencies?
Cornell University Public Saftey Communications Centers
607-255-1111 or 911
607-255-1111 (ask for an Administrator on-Call)
Cornell Health After-Hours (ProtoCall) - 24/7 mental health professionals