Skip to main content

Cornell University

Dispute Resolution

If you have a disagreement or dispute with your landlord: 

  1. Talk to your landlord, discuss the situation and possible resolutions, including a timeframe. 
  2. Organize the details. Take notes and photos and document emails, phone calls, and any correspondence, date, time, location when event occurred. 
  3. Be persistent. Follow up with the landlord if the situation has not been taken care of in the timeframe agreed upon. 
  4. If there has been no resolution or the landlord has not contacted you, there are a number of local and regional agencies that can assist you. 

City of Ithaca Building Department — If you live within the City of Ithaca and have problems with your landlord regarding maintenance, repairs, etc. 

Community Dispute Resolution Center — CDRC is a local mediation organization that can help you. 

Ithaca City Court 

Civil Court 

New York State Attorney General's Office 

Tompkins County Court 

NYS Bar Association — Free and confidential legal counsel (800) 342-3661 

Ithaca Tenants Resources