Skip to main content

Cornell University

Returning Undergrad Application Process

Students currently on leave from the University

Returning from a leave of absence:
Students returning from a medical, personal, or required leave of absence from the University may apply for Fall 2020 academic-year housing beginning at 7pm on March 28, 2020. Please also consult with your College to complete all necessary paperwork and steps to assure your remittance into the program. Applicants will have the opportunity to rank communities and room types by preference. You can learn more about your housing options at Housing Options for Upperlevel Undergraduate Students. 

Housing assignments for returning students will be released by mid-June, 2020 as spaces become available. On-campus housing for returning students is not guaranteed, and is prioritized by classification (freshman, sophomore, junior, then senior), application date, and availability. 

If you require accessible housing for a disability-related reason, you must register with Student Disability Services (SDS) and submit current disability documentation. More information can be found at

Students planning to take a leave / study abroad
If you only need on-campus housing for one semester next year – because you will be on leave from the university for an academic internship or study in absentia, or will be graduating – you may still apply and sign a contract for academic-year housing for the following academic year.  

You should then inform the Housing & Dining Contracts office as soon as possible that you will require housing for one semester only.  As outlined in the housing contract Terms & Conditions, the last day to cancel your fall-semester housing without a penalty fee is July 1, and the last day to cancel your spring-semester housing is December 1.  We ask that you inform us of your plans as early as possible, however, to enable us to offer housing to other students.

Please complete a vacate form, available from the p/residential-life/housing/community-centers/robert-purcell-community-center, and bring written verification from your college or adviser that you are leaving the University an academic internship or study in absentia. You may also email your vacate request to, and attach verification from your college or adviser.

Questions?  Please contact us.