Skip to main content


Insurance is an important part of any event. Whether you need to provide proof of coverage through a Certificate of Insurance (COI), or if someone gets injured during an event your group is sponsoring, it's important to understand what insurance is available to you and your group.

Cornell's Office of Risk Management and Insurance (RMI) facilitates all insurance programs for the university, including the student club insurance program, funded (in part) by the student activity fee.

Private Event Insurance

The university requires private events (weddings and other ceremonies) to provide evidence of liability insurance in order to use university facilities. For more information, visit RMI's Private Insurance Page.

Certificate of Insurance

Many groups who wish to use off-campus space for events or activities may be asked to provide a Certificate of Insurance to show proof of coverage. If your group qualifies for appropriate coverage, RMI can assist you with obtaining the proper COI to submit to the property owner. Contact RMI for more information.

Contractor/Vendor Insurance

If you plan on hiring an external contractor or vendor who will be providing services on campus as part of your event, that contractor/vendor may need to provide proof of insurance to Cornell. For more information, visit RMI's page on Contractor/Vendor Insurance Requirements.