Meet Rohit Manshani
College: College of Human Ecology
Major: Masters of Public Health
Campus employment: Student Supervisor, The Cornell Store
Career Readiness Competencies gained:
- Career & Self-Development
Students work at campus jobs and internships ranging from office support to peer counselor to intramural referee -- many of which are hosted within Student & Campus Life. In the interview below, learn more about Rohit Manshani, who has served as a Student Supervisor at The Cornell Store.
What skills did you learn in your campus job?
While working on campus at a student job, I have learned a few skills:
- I have learned how important it is to be respectful and considerate of others and a workplace is something that should be formal when looked at from the outside, but open and friendly from inside.
- I learned how to use NetSuite from Oracle in a retail business and how to check for inventory and details.
- I gained knowledge about how to provide customer service and manage the expectations of your managers.
- In the role, I got aware of how important it is to cover the slack of your teammates and lend a helping hand when required without any obligation, just for the sole purpose of collaborative achievement of the goal.
What was it like to be both a peer and a manager of other student workers?
My experience working with my peers and managing made me the perfect messenger for my peers of the expectations in terms of the quality of work and accountability required from the senior management team. I believe seeing my transformation and taking up responsibility after being promoted, set an example of the right things to do and the mindset required to climb up the ladder for them.
What advice do you have for students interested in an on-campus job?
The only advice I have for students is to never turn down an opportunity to learn soft skills in life. My professional life and my on-campus jobs were totally different on the spectrum but the soft skills like communication, accountability, discipline and work attitude I learned from this position really set me on the right path in my professional career.