Multicultural Living Learning Unit (McLLU)
Multicultural Living Learning Unit, Ithaca, NY 14850
The Multicultural Living Learning Unit, know as McLLU (pronounced McClue) is a community which prides itself on being a diverse community of backgrounds and ethnicities, all committed to celebrating difference and promoting acceptance. McLLU focuses on diversity in all forms including race, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, physical ability, religion, and more.McLLU, housed in Clara Dickson Hall, was founded in 1991 by a group of students who wanted to live in a community where they could learn from a culturally eclectic group of peers - a home where everyone would be welcome to share ideas, values, and experiences. This theme of open-mindedness has endured: residents continue to create an inclusive and socially just community that allows residents to learn, listen, and share the many identities they embody.
An important part of the McLLU community is academic and social programming. All residents are invited to participate in a series of McLLU programs known as 'McLLUnity Nights,' led by residents, Cornell faculty, and staff on topics about identity, activism, expression, current events, and culture. The McLLU community also organizes occasional trips off campus. In the past, McLLU has traveled to New York City, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C.
Explore the McLLU community page in CampusGroups.
- Open to first-year, transfer, and upperlevel students
- 47 residents, 2 RAs, and 1 Senior RA
- Located in Dickson Hall on North Campus, near Robert Purcell Community Center and Appel Commons
- Single and triple rooms arranged on a central hall on two floors of Clara Dickson Hall
- Bedrooms contain, for each occupant: an extra-long twin bed, a closet and a bureau (or wardrobe/bureau combination), a desk and desk chair, a desk lamp, a wastebasket, a recycling bin,and floor carpeting
- Two kitchens, a large programming space, a TV lounge, and a study lounge
- Wireless Internet access
- Some rooms do not have overhead lighting, so residents are encouraged to bring their own floor lamp.
- Please note: McLLU rooms do not have air conditioning.
In addition to the room rate, McLLU residents pay a program fee of $40/year to support the many activities and events that define the community.
How to apply for residency:
Application instructions and links can be found at Application Process: New Undergraduate Students and Application Process: Current Undergraduate Students. You will be asked to answer brief essay questions for each community to which you apply.
Out-of-House Membership information:
Program Houses offer out-of-house memberships for Cornell community members who want to participate as non-residents. Download an out-of-house member application here.
Learn about Cornell Dining's meal plans.
For more information about McLLU, call (607) 255-5306 or email McLLU@cornell.edu.
Housing Population Type