Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Learn more about the Community Response Team (CRT) and how Cornell students can expect to work with this team of responders below. 

How can I request or connect with the CRT?

  • Call the Hotline: 607-253-2100
  • Text the Hotline: 607-253-2100
  • Call Cornell Dispatch at 607-255-1111 and request CRT. Dispatch may ask follow up questions.     Please note that these questions with dispatch are not confidential. 
  • Drop in at the hub, 103 Appel Commons
  • For non-emergent situations or to establish an appointment with the CRT during service hours, you may also Email Us  

Who answers the CRT Hotline 607-253-2100? 
The Hotline will ring to the next available community responder. Should they not be able to take the call, or if a call comes in when CRT are not on shift, the call will roll over to Cornell Dispatch with a message indicating this transfer. Callers can choose to end the call during the transfer.

What services can I receive at the hub, 103 Appel Commons?
The hub offers snacks, coffee, tea, water, a space to talk and be heard, menstrual products, and safer sex supplies for all bodies. Community responders are confidential resources for Policy 6.4 conversations. The CRT can also provide students with comprehensive resource coordination. CRT can offer rides to the hub from on campus when needed and can provide students with return rides to their residence halls.

What can I expect at the hub?
The hub is physically accessible with door push buttons at the entrance of Appel, an elevator option to get to the office entrance, and an accessible bathroom and lactation room on the same floor. Some things to note, we do not currently have control over the temperature nor lighting in the hub. 

CRT members are Confidential Resources. What does that mean?
The Community Response Team (CRT) serves as a university designated Confidential Resource for all realities addressed by Policy 6.4. The Team can offer students residing in Cornell-owned buildings, trauma-informed compassionate support to process their experiences and if interested, support to explore bias, sexual misconduct, and sexual assault reporting options on and off Cornell University’s Campus without the expectation of filing a report. This confidentiality extends to students who are minors and interested in receiving support from the CRT. When partnering with a student who is a minor, the CRT will explain NY state survivor rights’ for teens, when students consent to the conversation. Housed under Care and Crisis Services, the CRT can also provide students with comprehensive resource coordination on and off Cornell’s campus. Please know it is your right and is never disrespectful to ask campus staff about their confidentiality status and to ask further questions upon meeting. 

Does CRT report anything else?
CRT coordinators are mandated to report suspected child abuse or maltreatment when, in their professional capacity, they are presented with reasonable cause to suspect child abuse or maltreatment. For more information about this responsibility, please Email Us.  

What are some reasons I would call CRT?
Call the CRT if you or a friend are struggling- nothing is too small. Community disturbances, roommate conflicts, homesickness, processing identity questions, going through a break-up, struggling with the effects of COVID, academic stress or pressure, feeling overwhelmed, not feeling well mentally or spiritually. Nothing is too small. Nothing is ever a burden. Not sure where to start? Call CRT.

I don’t know what my questions or needs are yet, should I still call CRT?
Absolutely! We do not worry about not having the language to talk about your experiences, or not being sure where to start to stop you from using us as a resource. You guide the conversation, your boundaries, your expectations, your space and environment, and your care plan. 

I don’t live on campus. Can I still call CRT?
CRT will answer all calls and texts the Hotline receives without asking where the caller lives. If a response to an off-campus location is requested or required, CRT is not able to respond. 

Where can CRT physically respond to?
CRT responds to university-owned and occupied housing units: all residence halls, Hasbrouck graduate housing, Coops, program houses and 10 university-owned Greek houses. If you are not sure if CRT responds to your location, please still call and ask. 

Can CRT come instead of the Cornell Police?
Possibly. CRT and CUPD collaborate to provide the best service possible to the student and community. For some responses, CRT may be the primary lead and may call in CUPD later. We will honor the preference of the caller as best as possible, but some situations require CUPD to be present per county regulations. These situations include any instance when a student is transferred for medical care or a behavioral health assessment via Bangs ambulance to an area hospital.  

Will CRT members notify my RHD? My college? My parents?
The HAD or RHD on-call may be notified of a developing situation, but not necessarily the details. CRT will not contact your college or your parents. Should the student request their college be notified (should academics be disrupted), CRT can email your college with your permission to request academic consideration. CRT will not call your parents. 

I am concerned about a student. Can I call the CRT?
Yes! Please do. Faculty, staff, and other concerned community members are welcome to contact the CRT for a consultation.

Can I report concerns anonymously?
Yes, but we may not be able to provide comprehensive follow up to the student in need. CRT would like to work with the concerned community member to ensure all parties are provided for and supported.

Can I provide feedback for CRT?
We always welcome feedback in person or email. We are also working on a system to provide anonymous feedback.