Science & Technology Entry Program (STEP)
Cornell's STEP mission is to support students as they prepare for college and careers in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) and the licensed professions. STEP aims to increase the number of marginalized students in these career fields. At Cornell STEP, we believe that a diverse group of problem solvers in STEM will develop creative solutions for the future.The Cornell Science Technology Entry Program (STEP) is grant funded through the New York State Education Department and hosted at Cornell University. STEP provides opportunities to explore STEM-related careers and prepare for the college admissions process in science, technology, engineering, and/or math and the New York State licensed professions. Through STEP, students receive one-on-one and small group advising as well as support connecting with local resources to explore careers in STEM and the licensed professions. STEP provides students with academic support such as tutoring and standardized test preparation. Through our grant, we also offer access to a variety of financially supportive services such as college application fee assistance/waivers, ACT/SAT fee waivers, FAFSA resources, and financial assistance workshops. STEP programming may occur virtually as necessary due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
STEP serves students in the Ithaca City School District, specifically DeWitt Middle School, Boynton Middle School, Lehman Alternative Community School, and Ithaca High School.
During the academic year, STEP offers the following activities and opportunities.
- Academic tutoring
- Academic advising/coaching
- Small group sessions on topics related to academic success, college readiness, and career exploration
- College admissions and application support
- College application fee assistance/waivers
- Research and internship programs
- ACT/SAT fee waivers
- Financial aid information
- SAT/ACT prep
- Career Planning/Exploration
- College Visits
- Scholarship Information
Based on criteria established by the New York State Department of Education, a student qualifies for STEP if they:
- Are interested in pursuing a science, technology, engineering, math, (STEM) or licensed profession in college (for a list of NYS licensed professions see list at end of application).
- Identify as a member of a historically underrepresented group in the STEM/NY licensed professions (Black or African American, Hispanic or Latino/a/x, or American Indian/Native Alaskan) AND/OR qualifies as economically disadvantaged as defined by New York State guidelines (see Family and Financial Information section of application).
Note: If your child currently qualifies for Free/Reduced price lunch, they are eligible for STEP.
Please call our office at (607) 255-1309 or email email@example.com, for more information about applying to STEP.