Skip to main content

Cornell University

Am I Eligible?

Eligibility Requirements

Do I have a federal work-study (FWS) award?

Only students who have federal work-study funding (FWS) in their financial-aid package are eligible to participate in CWSP.  Review your financial aid on Student Service Center.

Students need to actively accept, reduce, or decline offers for all Federal Work Study (FWS), federal student loans, and university loans through Student Center. For instructions on how to accept FWS or loans, please review this tutorial. FWS cannot be earned and student loans will not credit to the Bursar statement until they are accepted, or reduced, and all standard Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Notes are complete.

Need help understanding your financial-aid award letter? See the 2-min Cornell video “Understanding Your Award Letter” or call Financial Aid at 607-255-5145.

Is my FWS award for the employment term I want to work?

  • FWS awards are determined for a specific employment period: academic year or summer.
  • Funding not used during an academic year or summer does not "roll over."  
  • Students must apply for FWS for the academic year, and then again for the summer.
  • An academic-year award does not guarantee a summer award, and vice versa, as situations are liable to change.

Am I registered as a full-time student for the academic-year employment term, with no “holds”?

  • taking a leave of absence or withdrawing from Cornell;
  • registering for part-time enrollment;
  • registration holds, including bursar, dean’s, and medical holds;
  • not maintaining satisfactory academic progress.

Have I completed an I-9 form?

Students must have completed an I-9 for before they may begin to work. To find a hub, read I-9 Hub Locations.