Employer Eligibility Requirements
To be considered as an eligible employer in the Community Work-Study Program, the agency and positions offered must meet the following conditions as established by the US Department of Education:
- Employer must be a US federal, state, or municipal public agency or private 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization as certified by the IRS.
- Position must directly benefit the community beyond Cornell University.
- Community service is defined as services designed to improve the quality of life for community residents, particularly low-income individuals, or to solve particular problems related to their needs.
New employers will need to submit the following forms to review eligibility:
- Letter of Intent
- Federal Work Study Agreement (contract), renewable annually by July 1
- Job Description Form
- Certificate of Insurance
- Articles of Incorporation
- Federal Tax Exempt Letter
The Community Work-Study Program of the Public Service Center, together with the Office of Financial Aid and Student Employment, will review these forms to verify eligibility. Upon confirmation you will be notified in writing.
Off-campus employers maintain their eligibility with the Community Work-Study Program by:
- completing and returning the annual Federal Work Study Agreement (contract) before July 1
- following stipulations regarding employment listed in the contract
- maintaining current job descriptions with CWSP
- maintain designated liability insurance coverage and submit certificate annually
- paying bills on time
- completing student evaluations