How to Hire a Student
- Students will contact you directly and ask for the contact listed on the job posting. We do not maintain a list of students who are looking for jobs.
- Not all students are familiar with Federal Work Study (FWS) or financial aid, so we encourage you to double-check with the student that they have a current FWS award. Students who don't receive financial aid will not be eligible for Community Work-Study positions.
- Email the CWSP Coordinator the student’s name and Cornell net ID so the Coordinator can check the student’s eligibility.
- Interview the student as you would a regular staff member. Review the job description with them and discuss the tasks and responsibilities associated with the job.
- Be sure that your expectations and those of the student are clearly communicated and understood.
- Discuss time management and scheduling, any other work-study or non-work-study jobs they may have, transportation issues, and extracurricular/co-curricular activities.
Ready to Hire a Student?
- Once you've decided which student to hire, complete an appointment form and email the document to the Community Work-Study Program (CWSP) coordinator at email@example.com. The CWSP Coordinator will have the student complete the necessary paperwork and training to become appointed to the University payroll through the WorkDay system.
- WorkDay Access: On-campus CWSP appointments can be inputted into WorkDay only by a staff member from CWSP due to Department of Education reporting mandates and to ensure that the correct federal work-study subsidy percentage is inputted.
- Access to the appropriate student JM Org in Workday for the participating Cornell department must be granted to CWSP prior to the student-employee start date. The employing department will need to provide CWSP with a staff contact who can facilitate this process in a timely manner.
- You will receive a Hiring Addendum via email from the CWSP Coordinator to confirm receipt of the form and to verify hire has been put into the system.
- Start Date: Once CWSP has appointed the student in WorkDay, your department’s payroll representative should contact you and the student regarding next steps for your department’s payroll procedures.
Conditions that Restrict a Student’s Employment Eligibility
If any of the following conditions exist, a student cannot begin working or be appointed to the University Payroll: The student
- has a hold on their college or university bursar account
- is not registered with the university
- has a dean's hold
- has a Financial Aid package that has not been finalized
- does not have an I-9 form on file (It proves eligibility to work in United States. Students who need an I-9 can find an I-9 "hub" on campus by reading I-9 Hub Locations.)
For more information, please contact the CWSP Coordinator.