New York City Public Service Corps (NYCPSC)
Expect it to return in Summer 2022.
The New York City Public Service Corps (NYCPSC) is a placement agency that helps Cornell students find employment with certain non-profits and city agencies/departments in the five boroughs of New York. You are not applying to an individual position or job when you complete the NYCPSC application. Instead, you will indicate on the application several work areas of interest and rank your preferred borough(s) to work.
You must be Federal Work-Study (FWS) eligible to participate in this program. Refer to your financial aid package information or contact the Office of Financial Aid and Student Employment for more information about summer FWS funding.
As an NYCPSC intern, you will be paid a flat hourly rate based on your class year. Pay rates are determined by NYC payroll policy and, therefore, are not negotiable. For current rates, visit the NYC Public Service Corps website. Hours of work, days of work, and length of the internship will be determined during the interview process with the NYCPSC. For more information about expectations and policies, review the most up-to-date NYCPSC Intern Handbook in the “Forms & Promotional Material” section of their website.
- Attend a NYCPSC Information Session; view Handshake for days/times. (Optional, but highly encouraged.)
- Use Cornell's Online Application to complete all questions and required forms. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis beginning in March. Final deadline is June 16. Note: The link will be made active once the program begins accepting applications each year. If it is inactive in May or June, all funding for that year has already been allocated.
- Your eligibility is verified by Cornell Career Services and Cornell Financial Aid & Student Employment teams. Then, we forward your application to the NYCPSC staff for the remainder of the hiring process. You will be notified via e-mail that your application has progressed.
- NYCPSC Placement Counselor will then contact you to set a date and time for your placement interview. All questions about your application and interview scheduling status should be directed to the NYCPSC office: PSC@dcas.nyc.gov.
- Some employment sites will also conduct their own interview with students after the NYCPSC placement counselor phase.
Winter internships through NYC PSC are only available to those who participated the previous summer, continuing to work for that same agency. To seek this option, follow the steps below:
- Check with the Office of Financial Aid and Student Employment (email@example.com) for confirmation of your Federal Work Study eligibility—you need to have $1000 of FWS funds remaining. (Generally, students who did not work on campus during the fall semester do.)
- If eligible, contact your previous agency to ask whether they would have winter work available.
- Then, contact your NYCPSC placement counselor for application instructions.
Questions? E-mail NYCPSC_Summer_Program@cornell.edu