Exploring Health Careers
There are many different health professions, and whether you feel certain of your goals or are just beginning to look at your options, it is important to learn more about what is out there and what life is like for health professionals. Read about different health careers and see what resonates with you. Explore the different educational requirements, learn about career trajectories, and discover what a "day in the life" looks like. Some specific steps you might take include:
- Explore professional organizations' websites.
- American Association of Medical College (AAMC)
- American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM)
- American Dental Education Association (ADEA)
- Association of Schools & Programs of Public Health (ASPPH)
- Association of Veterinary Medical Colleges (AAVMC)
- American Academy of PAs (AAPA)
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN)
- Speak with a Health Careers Advisor for individual guidance and planning.
- Talk to health professionals to learn more about what the career looks like.
- Take advantage of the extensive Cornell network through CUeLINKS and reach out to health professionals there for conversations and potential shadowing opportunities.
Health professional programs will look for evidence of your understanding of and motivation for the profession. For any given health profession, there may be academic and extracurricular requirements for entry to graduate programs. Engage in continuous learning and participate in hands-on experiences to prepare for your target health career.